Even if you're not a federal employee, a partial government shutdown could affect you in many ways.
Here are some examples:
- Head Start grants that expire on Oct. 1 would not be renewed.
- 94 percent of U.S. Department of Education employees would be furloughed.
- School grants and loans, such as Pell grants and direct student loans would "continue as normal," officials say, but payment of money could be delayed.
- Colleges and schools that receive federal funding would also experience delays.
- A government shutdown would freeze all federal loans.
- Businesses and home buyers would not be able to take out loans.
- Payments would continue but could be delayed, and the administration would continue taking payment applications.
- Medicare and Medicaid services would continue.